There are many types of lighting that can be used to light our homes.
Artificial lights make it possible to do many more things at different times of the day or in places where there wouldn't otherwise be enough light to be useful or enjoy. A lamp by the bed can enable bedtime reading. A light in the basement or a closet makes it easier to find things that have been stored there.
Lighting is affected by the type of bulb, the fixture and other factors like window treatments and the reflectiveness of surfaces like walls.
Light bulb typesEdit
There are many types of lighting to choose from
- Incandescent bulbs are the most common
- Fluorescent bulbs are more energy efficient
- Compact fluorescent bulbs are the new thing - they fit regular light bulb fixtures but have much better energy efficiency
Light bulbs can produce light from different parts of the spectrum. Some utilities will offer rebates for purchasing energy efficient lighting like compact fluorescent bulbs
Light bulb symbolism and jokesEdit
Light bulbs, or artificial light, is associated with intelligence (or lack of it). A light bulb shown over someone's head indicates a "bright idea". There is a whole genre of light bulb jokes. Most of them start, "How many (group of people) does it take to screw in a light bulb?" Light bulb jokes are often used to tease people of a particular profession or hobby. Would you like to add your favorite light bulb joke here? (Note: Please keep it clean and non-discriminatory, that is, no jokes based on things like race or national origin that people did not choose.)
- Q: How many Heisenbergs does it take to screw in a light bulb?
- A: If you know the number, you don't know where the socket is.
- Q: How many consulting engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
- A: One, that'll be $50 please.
- Q How many members of parliament does it take to change a light bulb?
- A:Twenty-one: one to change it and twenty to take a six-week fact finding trip to the Bahamas to learn more about how it's done.
- Q: How many firemen does it take to change a light bulb?
- A: Four: one to change the bulb and three to cut a hole in the roof.
| Quote |
So, I bought a new cd and I was trying to get it open but couldn't with all the layers..I mean plastic and then tape and the tape is like government tape. It says open here..is that sarcasm?, and buy batteries and they are in there with layers and layers of cardboard and then scissors....you need scissors to get into scissors, what if you were buying them for the first time? you wouldnt be able to get them open. Then you try and buy a light bulb and it's this thin thin cardboard .....what are they thinking? "Ohh they'll be fine