For many people, a grilled cheese sandwich is a comfort food. A cheese sandwich is easy and quick to make. It's simple, and even many picky eaters find them acceptable. Warm and gooey, with a toasty outside is even better for most of us. However, a cheese sandwich can be bad for people who are lactose intolerant or have allergies to wheat and/or dairy products.
It's popularly served in restaurants and some homes with soup, especially tomato soup.
The most basic grilled cheese sandwich is made by putting two pieces of bread together with sliced cheese in between, then putting some butter or oil on the outside and grilling on a hot surface until the cheese gets gooey.
Some optional ingredients are mustard, tomatoes, pickles. Other ways to change the taste are with different kinds of bread, cheese, butter or oil.
White bread, "American" or cheddar cheese and butter are probably the most common base ingredients, but other cheeses and breads can be used to change the flavor and maybe make a healthier sandwich. Depending on how you make them, a grilled cheese sandwich can have anything from just over 100 calories to well over 600! And some burger melts, where grilled cheese and grilled burger are combined can get up to 1,500 calories in a sandwich.
You can add fiber and other healthy components by using whole grain or other breads.
Some other cheeses you might want to try: fontina, Swiss, pimento.
Most cheese sandwiches are vegetarian, and can easily be made vegan by adjusting the type of cheese and oil.
Other heating methods can be used. One common variation is an oven toasted cheese sandwich.
- delish.com on 10 Swoon-Worthy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Friendly's Grilled Cheese BurgerMelt triples the calories of the Double Down on Examiner.com 
- myfitnesspal with basic calorie and nutrition facts for a variety of different homemade grilled cheese sandwiches
- fitday.com on How many calories in Cheese sandwich, grilled
- CalorieKing on Calories in Sandwiches, Wraps: Sandwich, Grilled Cheese (3 oz) w. 3 oz Bread
- mademan.com on 10 Gourmet Grilled Cheese Recipes
- Allrecipes.com's Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe
- The Grilled Cheese Invitational "The 2nd 8th Annual Grilled Cheese Invitational will take place on on April 23, 2011 in Los Angeles, CA."
- Wisconsin Grilled Cheese Academy (not a school)
- Wikipedia's article on cheese sandwich